Total Pageviews

Friday, March 18, 2011

Could Uncle Luke of 2 Live Crew Be the Next Mayor of Miami-Dade County

Luther Campbell, former member of the rap group, 2 Live Crew, is now looking at a strong possibility of becoming the next mayor of Miami-Dade County, Florida. Campbell has been contemplating taking on this role as mayor for some time now, but in the past he was told that a stronger candidate was right for the community. So Campbell, backed away from the idea until now.

On Wednesday a recall vote gave current Miami/Dade county mayor, Carlos Alvarez his exiting papers and the possibility of Uncle Luke getting in the mayor's house just got stronger.

Campbell say, “When I take Mr. Alvarez’s job, I’ll review the county budget with a fine-toothed comb,” “When I ran my record company, every year we would first go over what was making revenue for us and beef that side up. Then we would cut the areas where we were not generating revenue. The first place we looked was payroll. I’ll do the same with the county budget.”

Uncle Luke has been a writer for the Miami New Times, where he’s been publishing columns over the past year. Back in January, he said he would allow his reality show cameras to be involved and “Cameras are going to capture when some lobbyist comes to see me to lobby me on some [stuff] they want approved. The cameras are going to be rolling when a commissioner meets with me when I want to talk about the things we need to build for this community. The voters are going to know who is full of [stuff] and who isn’t if I am elected mayor.”

Campbell had this to say about his frustrations with the lack of change in his community, “I get in my car, ride around Liberty City, and everything looks the same as when I was in the neighborhood growing up,” he continued, “I see the same crimes in the same areas. Officers and residents are still getting killed in the community I grew up in. I go to a city like Atlanta that has sensible affordable housing, and no one is being murdered. I go to Miami International Airport and see the same construction that has been going on for like a hundred years. All of that frustrates the hell out of me. Why aren’t we getting it right in Miami-Dade? Why is our government only serving one set of people? That’s what is pushing me to run.”

After hearing his passion about what he would do and why he wants to do it, I think Mr Campbell has a strong chance of becoming the next mayor of Miami-Dade County.

Check out some of Luke Campbell's past work that made him a legend in the hip hop world, below: WARNING THIS VIDEO MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR WORK OR SCHOOL

1 comment:

  1. I read this article when I was in Miami visiting and my friend said that they would vote for him. I read it outloud while they were driving. It was a pretty interesting piece!!!!

    ReplyDelete